Friday 15 July 2016

War and Peace - Leo Tolstoy

As a literature undergraduate some 10 years ago, I asked my European studies professor what book I should read to broaden my horizons. His immediate suggestion was War and Peace. Intimidated by its length, and distracted by pressing assignments, I never followed his advice. Perhaps it was just as well, for although a far easier read than I had anticipated, War and Peace is not the kind of book that would have appealed to me back then. The scope is vast, both thematically and temporally, with a staggering cast of characters (over 100) and a rambling, unfettered structure. The 2016 Penguin classics translation by Anthony Briggs comes with a handy character guide which I consulted on a constant basis until I had remembered who everybody was. The appendix also contains detailed maps of the featured military campaigns, if you're into that sort of thing. Starting just before Napoleon's 1805 campaign against Russia and building towards the 1812 invasion of Moscow, Tolstoy sets up a scale of truly epic proportions, immersing his characters within a plethora of real historical figures and events.

With this real historical backdrop in place, the high society of Moscow and St Petersburg introduces the main characters of Pierre Bezukhov, a clumsy, well meaning count in recent inheritance of a fortune, his close friend, the severe and principled Prince Andrey, young Count Nikolay Rostov (whom I grew to loathe), and his high spirited sister, Nathasha. The various dramas of their lives intertwine in unpredictable ways as they are all eventually embroiled within the coming war. True to its title, the book's drama swings between scenes of peace and war, asking some hefty questions along the way about what it is to be human, why men enact violence upon one another, and Tolstoy's personal favourite: the purpose of life. Despite the book's high critical acclaim, having read Anne Karenina previously and being underwhelmed, I did not have positive expectations. My doubts were obliterated by the gripping story, intensely realised, fault-ridden characters, and superbly written passages.

However, War and Peace is by no means perfect; I could have done without Tolstoy's philosophical interludes and disparaging gripes at military strategy, and the second half of the epilogue was a real slog. I was also rather disappointed that some of the secondary characters disappeared from the plot without any closure. This edition is introduced by the translator, who starts laying into Tony Blair for no real reason. I highly recommend this book to all serious readers and lovers of literature. Despite my mild criticisms, it is an astonishing and absorbing read guaranteed to touch every conceivable emotion. Time now to watch the recent BBC adaptation and lament its crass treatment of a real masterpiece.

Rating: 4/5

No comments: