Monday 21 December 2015

On the Origin of Species - Charles Darwin

One of the most influential works ever written, I was excited to finally get my hands on this recent Folio edition. The Folio edition comes with three sets of coloured, illustrated plates, an introduction by Richard Keynes, and an attractive binding with gold leaf worked into the design. Aesthetically it is an attractive tome, but content wise I was somewhat disappointed. Whilst there is certainly no denying that Darwin's theory of evolution and natural selection has been indispensable in shaping the way we understand the world, I couldn't help thinking it was all a bit too obvious. It surprised me that naturalists took so long to reach this discovery, suggesting a glut of procrastination on their part. What were they doing all these decades, squabbling about classification? Darwin lays out his theory with some trepidation, acutely aware of the great impact it will forever have on science and religion.

Although I recognise the immense value of Darwin's work, it did not make it any easier to read on a casual basis. I thought that perhaps witnessing this historical document unravel would be rewarding in itself, but the language was too dry and pedantic, even with my interest in natural history it took me a long time to finish. The most interesting sections were those on instinct, featuring ants and hive bees as particular case studies. As for the inherent problems of classification, I was already very familiar with those. Darwin could have cut this book in half and still have had the same impact, and got his message across with greater clarity. The long-winded prose was tedious and distracting, and he returns again and again to the topic of his pigeon breeds. An interesting and pivotal text, but certainly not one for light reading. Recommended to serious natural history enthusiasts only.

Rating: 2/5

No comments: